Thursday, May 20, 2010

My caffeine addiction: Part 2

Well, my relationship with this caffeinated beverage didn't last long:




Why you may ask? One dreaded word: Headaches. I hate having headaches (I don't know anyone who likes having them). I never have headaches; I am not prone to headaches. I had a lot of them when I was pregnant and they basically debilitated me. After pregnancy, no headaches again.

Anyway, my diet Mt. Dew love was giving me headaches. I was afraid to admit it at first because, well, I love the stuff! I did a trial of not drinking any; this was difficult because it is usually my afternoon pick me up. I reached for a diet sprite instead (eliminate the caffeine). Still got a headache.

Decided to eliminate all diet soda one day: no headaches
Next day: on the bandwagon again-drank a diet Mt. Dew-got a headache
Next day: no diet soda=no headache.
This off and on break-up went on for about 2 weeks...

I finally broke down and admitted I had to stop drinking diet soda because the aspartame was giving me a headache. It is well-known that aspartame sensitive people get headaches from the stuff. I never knew I was sensitive until all these headaches started.

What do I drink now for an afternoon pick me up? Water (flavored with grape-no aspartame) or tea.

The hardest thing is that I never realized how much aspartame is in different food products! I am having to read any and all sweetened food labels to see if it contains aspartame. Splenda is fine, thank goodness because I need something to sweeten my coffee.

I will no longer be doing the Dew

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is on your mind?