This was definitely a year we weren't sure how the Packers would do, but they defied a lot of odds with a young team (2nd youngest in the league) and many injuries and made it to the Super Bowl on a wild card.

It is hard to explain to non-Packer backers what it is like to be a Packer fan and to be born and raised in Packer country. Most states have a football team, but all of them are owned by an actual person...a team owner. The Packers are the only NFL team to not be owned by a single person. Instead the team is owned by the rightful owners....the fans. The Packers are a publicly owned team; the good occupants of Wisconsin (or wherever else a Packer fan may live) are the owners. Wisconsinites, Packer fans and all others alike own stock (no one person can have more than 200,000 shares to prevent sole ownership of the team) in the Packer's organization which is why I think being a Packer backer has such unique characteristics. We aren't fair weather fans; I have never seen a Packer fan turn his or her back on the team in bad times and losing streaks. Sure, we complain about plays, bad games and bad play calls, but we always back the team no matter what the season is like. Packer fans will gladly dress in layers and layers of clothes to sit at Lambeau field in -20 degree weather to watch a game (if you can get a ticket). Season tickets have been sold out since 1960 and there are over 81,000 names on the waiting list. According to packers.com, the average wait is 30 years to actually get season tickets. Recently a friend had a baby and she put her daughter on the waiting list and I think she was number 67, 000 something. Hopefully, by the time she is 30 she will get her tickets!
Packer fans will also sit in -20 degree weather or +100 weather to tailgate and enjoy beer, brats, cheese curds, cheese and any other Wisconsin-made treats.
I love being a Packer fan! Not just because they won the Super Bowl, but because they are a great team, owned by the people. We are down-home fans who always stick by their team. Living in Minnesota has NOT changed my perspective or fan following at all. Even though many people have tried to persuade me in the last 7 years of living in MN to switch my cheering to the V team (Just can't put the name in my blog), I would never turn my back on the Packers. I think I choose the right team this year and for many years to come.
I will forever and always be a Packer Backer.
No comments:
Post a Comment
What is on your mind?