Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Fun, Busy Weekend!

On Friday, 5/15 we took a trip to my former office at the University of Minnesota to visit some of the people I used to work with. Julia happily came along and was so well behaved. We went out to lunch with one of the doctors I used to work closely with, Andy, and another friend and former co-worker Amy. We had a great time! We ate at a local restaurant/bar on campus and Julia loved sitting in the highchair, eating her solids and taking in all the scenery and people watching. After lunch, we went back to the office where there was a going-away party happening. Julia got her first taste of cake frosting. Amy happily gave her a finger tip taste of some white frosting. Julia loved it!
Mmmm...frosting! Mind if I chew on your finger too?

On Sunday, Julia and I got out of the house while Mike accomplished some house projects. Julia and I went to a local farm that was having a spring festival. This farm is very near our house, so I packed up Julia and all her necessities in her stroller and gladly walked the 1 1/2 hours (to and from the farm) in the lovely spring sunshine to show Julia her first glimpse of a farm. The farm is in the middle of suburbia and it is kind of odd that modern houses and life just built around it. I guess it is an important part of the town's history and it offers a lot to the community in terms of agriculture, learning and events. Julia had a great time. We watched other kids ride ponies (Julia is of course too little to do this) and saw some farm animals. We watched about 30 kids try to devour a piece of apple pie in a pie eating contest. We saw how rope was made, butter churned and how to milk a cow on what they called a virtual cow! The best part was a children's craft station where Julia and I took a pre-made foam barn back-drop and put our animals of choice on the barn. Julia really enjoyed this and was proud of her craft. We also took a photo opp in front of the bean-bag toss board, though Julia was more interested in picking the grass and putting it in her mouth! Mommy had to stop her a few times from ingesting the grass and dirt (it won't be the last time I will have to do that I am sure).

Julia with her barn craft
Julia's lovely barn (they ran out of purple "A's", so we had to settle for yellow)
Posing in front of Mr. Cow...playing with the grass and dirt


Julia is doing very well sitting up. She is still a little wobbly, but we think it has a lot to do with the fact that she still has fluid behind both of her ear drums and it affects her balance. Julia will see an ear, nose and throat doctor in about 3 weeks to assess her ears and see what can be done about the fluid. Here are some fun pictures of her sitting up and playing.

Such a ham for the camera!

I think I need to pull more toys out of the box and onto the floor.


I like my big blocks

This is my favorite book!


This book is good too, but I like the Bucky one better.


Mommy is sharing her water with Julia

1 comment:

  1. Ainsley loves eating grass too! Just wait until Julia is able to sit up steadly and pull stuff out of the laundry basket!

    ReplyDelete

What is on your mind?